UBC is a leader in a global network of post-secondary institutions that have turned their campuses into living laboratories for sustainable behaviour, infrastructure and community. At UBC, sustainability means simultaneous improvements in human and environmental wellbeing, not just reductions in damage or harm. The University is embedding this regenerative sustainability throughout teaching, learning, research, partnerships, operations and infrastructure, and the UBC community.
At UBC Campus + Community Planning (C+CP), we are an inspired team of urban planners, designers, engineers, public consultation professionals, building inspectors and sustainability experts dedicated to creating a vibrant, sustainable, live-work-learn community at UBC. We are responsible for a broad range of planning activities including the academic core of UBC’s Vancouver and Okanagan campuses, and the growing residential neighbourhoods on the Vancouver campus. Our works includes long-range planning, land use regulations, sustainability, transportation, infrastructure planning, campus and urban design, heritage and public realm planning, and community-building and programming that bring life and vibrancy to campus.
The Urban Designer will work closely with the Director, Planning and Design on the visioning, design and stewardship of the campuses’ built environment and transportation corridors. This position will be responsible for reviewing development applications for adherence to UBC planning and design policies and for developing, amending and implementing urban design and architectural concepts and policies for campus precincts and sites. The Urban designer will manage a variety of projects and contracts related to design, planning and policy facilitation.
This position reports to the Director, Planning and Design. The position supports a variety of advisory bodies. The Urban Designer will maintain working relationships with UBC departments including, Infrastructure Development, Building Operations, Parking, Student Housing & Hospitality Services, and other UBC departments and subsidiaries including the UBC Properties Trust. The Urban Designer will also liaison with architects and developers; and staff from Translink, the University Endowment Lands, the City of Kelowna, and other government authorities.
- Advance design concepts, principles and guidelines contained in the UBC policies (e.g. Land Use Plan, Vancouver Campus Plan, Neighbourhood Plans, Transportation Plan, Public Realm Plan, Okanagan Master Plan, plus associated policies and guidelines).
- Scope, plan, and facilitate integrated urban design processes to develop new concepts, precinct plans and guidelines as required, ensuring appropriate stakeholder and community involvement.
- Provide specific advice on the urban design context and expectations for capital projects as part of site specific design briefs.
- Conduct design review of capital projects at various stages of the development application process based on UBC policies and urban design best practices.
- Conduct design and urban design related research.
- Provide advice and direction to applicants, Building Operations staff and the Director of Planning on the rehabilitation of heritage buildings and appropriate additions.
- Support the UBC Advisory Urban Design Panel, including preparing reports and follow-up on action items.
- Guide and advise Building Operations staff on the stewardship of existing buildings and development of maintenance programs.
- Prepare reports, presentations and other documents on various projects, programs and policies.
- Develop and manage work programs.
- Serve as the delegate for the Director of Planning and Design in the Architect Selection process.
- Perform other design and planning-related duties as required.
For more information and to apply, please visit www.staffcareers.ubc.ca/26436