Standing your ground
- 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- CBC Studio 700 Hamilton Street, Vancouver
- Thursday, April 20
You won’t want to miss IABC BC’s 5th annual signature storytelling event. This year’s theme is Standing your ground. In a post-truth world of fake news and alternative facts, standing our ground as ethical communicators has never been more important. But we would argue the challenge has always existed.
At some point in our career we are the salmon that swims upstream, the courageous communicator that tells the CEO what they don’t want to hear, the honest broker between the media and your organization, the voice of reason. We are the truth tellers!
Spiderman’s Uncle Ben said it best: “With great power comes great responsibility.” As IABC notes “as professional communicators we have the potential to influence economies and affect lives as such we have significant responsibilities.” These responsibilities are embodied in IABC’s code of ethics.
The theme of IABC’s 5th annual signature storytelling event is “Standing your ground”. Eight speakers share five-minute stories that recount when they’ve stood up for themselves or the profession. When they’ve felt the pressure, but did the right thing anyway. Trailblazers who enlightened, garnered respect and made it easier for all communicators who came after them. You will be entertained, inspired, surprised and will leave uplifted and proud to be a communicator.
This year’s speakers
- Jessica Roberts-Farina, Online/Social Media Coordinator, alumni UBC
- Lisa Miguez, Senior Manager, Employee Communications, HSBC Bank Canada
- Shafiq Jamal, Senior Vice President & Managing Director, Weber Shandwick Vancouver
- Heather Young, Corporate Communications Director, Mitacs
- Jehanne Marie Burns, Principal Ninja, Pocket Ninja Strategies
- Andrea Carson, Director, Communications, SAP
- Steve Vanagas, Vice President, Communications & Marketing, TransLink
- Clay Adams, Vice President, Communications & Public Affairs, Vancouver Coastal Health
Thank you to our sponsors