Volunteering at IABC/BC is a member benefit that enables you to connect with the Chapter and your fellow members. Check out these opportunities to get involved.
Learn more about volunteering
In addition to the active postings below, we’d be happy to discuss finding a specific volunteer opportunity suited to your particular interests and skills – to learn more, email our Director, Volunteer Services.
- Membership Manager, Events
Posted November 3, 2021
- enjoy building connections and helping other communicators connect with each other?
- love organizing events?
- have a passion for marketing and communications?
If this sounds like a role of interest, apply to become IABC/BC’s next Membership Manager, Events.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead planning and execution of in-person or virtual events to facilitate social connections among members.
- Lead writing and implementation of social promotions for IABC/BC member portfolio events.
- Support member portfolio team with other duties as required.
- Strong project management skills
- Experienced communicator with stellar writing skills
- Event organization and management experience
2-4 hours a month, with increased hours closer to date of event(s)
Duties can be carried out from anywhere in B.C.
How to apply
Email an up-to-date resume (or LinkedIn profile URL) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Manager, Senior Communicators SIG (Special Interest Groups)
Posted October 8, 2021
Our Special Interest Group (SIG) programming provides focused opportunities to network and share ideas on topics of interest in a small group setting*. Our SIG program is championed by individual members, and offers informal opportunities to connect, learn and exchange knowledge with peers.
Members and potential members have derived tremendous benefit from these targeted networking/learning opportunities, ranging from specialized areas within public sector communications, internal communications, and senior communications. We are continuing to build on the success of this program from past years, and grow our offering of more SIGs to all levels of communicators. As these meetings are free to members, it is a significant value-add to our membership and BC is a IABC global leader in managing a successful SIG program.
*All SIGs are currently being held virtually via Zoom.
- A people person?
- Someone who enjoys seeing others make meaningful connections within their network, and learn from their peers?
- A passionate communicator?
If this interests you, read on.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the SIG director and team to develop a strategic plan to grow our budding Senior Communicators SIG portfolio, serving members and non-members with 10+ years of communications experience.
- Work with facilitators to gather event details for event registration and promotion purposes, and ensure SIG meetings are scheduled with adequate lead time.
- Familiarity with Zoom meetings and event planning (training provided).
- Availability to attend bi-weekly team meetings, as well as 7:45am – 9:30am Senior Communicator SIG sessions when needed.
- Work with the marketing and communications team to ensure all SIGs are adequately promoted across our chapter channels.
- Act as the facilitators’ point of contact for the program, answer questions, and provide support as needed.
- Provide relevant email updates to facilitators about upcoming chapter activities to verbally promote at individual SIG meetings, support facilitators as chapter ambassadors.
- Produce a summary report at the end of the program to evaluate the program’s success at year-end, including attendance, and feedback from the facilitators to improve the next year.
- Work with the SIG director, the membership team and board, to identify potential Senior Communicators SIG facilitators as needed to provide a diverse offering of SIG meetings for IABC/BC.
- Work with the team to review and develop SIG program procedure materials to ease future onboarding of new SIG facilitators, and document this new portfolio’s activities for future chapter reference, in the IABC/BC Google Drive, and to support your successor’s onboarding.
- Proactively build and train a roster of rock star senior communicators who will facilitate the Senior Communicators sessions.
- Update the IABC/BC chapter activity calendar to ensure SIG meetings do not conflict with other programs and events, etc.
- Strong project management and community engagement skills,
- Experience of facilitating logistics of similar programs a bonus
2-4 hours per week
This role can be carried out from any location in B.C.
How to apply
Email an up-to-date resume (or LinkedIn profile URL) to email@example.com.
- Events coordinator
Posted August 16, 2021
If you’re an event-savvy, super-organized communicator who gives attention to detail, we need you! Whether you’re new to the area of events or a seasoned professional, we’re looking for your unique style of seeing an event through from idea to execution! This is a great opportunity to maintain or gain valuable event-coordination skills, while being an integral team member of the IABC/BC team. Creative and enthusiastic candidates, read on:
- Responsible for coordinating with the marketing and communications teams and registration office to send out and publish event details to key audiences
- Work with the Event Managers to draft compelling content for the IABC/BC website, event registration page, email invitation and social media channels
- Ensure that the event is promoted effectively to key audiences through IABC/BC channels
- Keep a close eye on event registration numbers and work with the events team and marketing and communications teams to identify strategies to boost attendance if necessary
- Highly organized, excellent attention to detail, and project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal, and collaboration skills with a focus on professionalism
- Enthusiasm, flexibility and ability to work with a team remotely
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong copywriting skills; ability to create promotional content, proofread/edit copy, and write for various digital channels including the web, blog posts and social
- Ability to prioritize tasks, work under pressure, and follow processes
- Previous experience with hosting Zoom events and drafting content for event promotions is an asset
- Pre-event planning hours may range from two to four hours weekly (over the course of a month or several months)
- 4-6 hours on the day of the event
- Develop your event skills and experience, including marketing, organization, planning and delivery
- Build on your existing strategic planning/campaign-management skills
- Exercise your creativity in event execution and promotion
- Expand your portfolio of work while networking and meeting other communicators
- Hosting and managing online events
Interested? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Please note: Events will be planned according to Public Health Orders and guidelines.